Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Peace Sheep Update 13, and a New, Long-Overdue Start

I don't get a lot of time on my hands these days, but there are pockets of time when the baby is napping and I can take a few minutes to breathe, relax, maybe watch a little TV...and I need something to keep my hands busy! So I went digging around for something to start, and I found a little folder on my laptop of a bunch of freebies I've accumulated. One of them was Plum Street Sampler's Christmas freebie from two years ago, Mary's Sampler.

I love the way this piece looks, and I especially love the way it looks on dark fabric:


So I had a rummage through my stash, found this mystery piece of dark blue evenweave, and got going. I'm doing the smaller version, Mary's Sampler I. Here's my progress so far:


I think I frogged that first star on top 10,000 times. I started with the charted colors, but I didn't like the way it looked, so I tried to use my own choices, but then I started doubting myself, so I went back to charted, but I REALLY didn't like it, so I gave myself a stern talking-to, sat down, and got more serious about picking a nice palette. Looooonnnnnnggggggg story short, this is what it looks like now.


I'm using DMC for this, and so far the grass is 730 (as charted), the flowers are alternating between 3721 and 3722, the first star is 712, 676, and 783 (out to in), and the other two stars are 676, 783, and 780 (out to in).

I've also got a bit of progress on the Little Sheep Virtues SAL:


This is Peace at 1300 stitches. So close to a finish now! The border is slowly creeping to an end, and I've stitched the sheep's legs and the butterflies at the top (I think they're butterflies? I don't know why their heads are green...)


Big hugs,

13 comments:

Julie said...

Nice start on the SAL, your colour choices look great

Kerryp77 said...

Hi Sarah, love your new start. I'm off to find that now as its so nice. Your colour choices work really well. It's surprising how much difference 100 stitches make to peace. Happy stitching

Vickie said...

Hi Sarah! Yes, I have stitched Mary's Sampler. It is so pretty. I love the linen and colors you are doing.

Linda said...

The colors look great on your new start Sarah. Nice progress on the sheep.

Linda

craftingpaws said...

Your new start looks very nice and the sheep piece is coming along very well.

Heather said...

Beautiful progress!

Mii Stitch said...

What a sweet new start Sarah!
The colours look so nice against the fabric.
Great progress too :)

Penny said...

It can be frustrating choosing/changing colors, but I think you've done a lovely job! Nice SAL progress, too. : )

Brigitte said...

Isn't it great to go through a folder of freebies? I always discover some that I want to start immediately. Your new start looks gorgeous on the dark fabric. And great choice of colours. You made some nice progress on the sheep piece as well.

KimM said...

Lovely start. Enjoy your time with your little one. It flies by too quickly.
xxx

Justine said...

These little projects are perfect for picking up for a few spare moments! I love the Mary's Sampler and your colour choices look great to me.

Sheryl S. said...

Lovely design and pretty start, it´s always difficult when we change colours and risk not liking the finished piece - how many times have I done that...

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I liked Mary's Sampler when it was released so it's nice to see it being stitched again.

Great work on the sheep too.