Monday, May 12, 2014

A New Summery Start

Hi everyone! Thank you all so much for your sweet words with the Falling Star finish. I know it was a long time coming, but I appreciate all your support and love! :D

I've rooted through my stash and found the perfect new start: SamSarah's Farmer's Market Fresh Melon.


I've actually had this kitted up for nearly a year, but now that summer is starting this feels like the perfect project! I'm not stitching up the fruit banner, just the 3D melon, which I think is going to be a fun challenge. Here's my start:


I've stitched about half of the red for the melon. I'm stitching this on 28 count Olive Jobelan, with the recommended Weeks Dye Works and Sampler Threads.


I actually have a question about this. When I bought it I thought I was going to finish it off biscornu-style, but reading through the finishing instructions, I realized it'll be a little tougher. They recommend using fusible interfacing, which I've never used. Has anyone ever put this together? Is the fusible interfacing a must, or can I go without?

Happy belated Mother's Day to all you mothers!

10 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Great new start and fusible interfacing is really easy to use. You will probably need it to keep it stiff.

Shirlee said...

I use a very lightweight fusible interfacing on my projects all the time. If it's lightweight, it won't make things stiff. Looks like a lovely new start : )

cucki said...

Aww pretty new start
Hugs x

KimM said...

Lovely new start! I used lightweight interfacing all the time, as well. It doesn't make things stiff and really helps hold the shape when finishing.
hugs
xxx

Mii Stitch said...

Great start! I use lightweight iron on interfacing on the back of my project (not all the time) & it's really useful!!

Lumiruusu said...

The melon stitching looks pretty I have never seen that pattern before !! :) So cute!

Linda said...

Cute new start Sarah.

Linda

Kerryp77 said...

That's a really fun looking stitch, great start Sarah

Steph said...

Oh I like that! It's really different. I look forward to seeing it grow...and now I need to hunt down your umbrella finish ^_^ XOX

Wendy said...

ooh great choice, I'll look forward to watching this. I would have thought the interfacing was to make it into a hanging decoration to make it a bit more sturdy. you could still make it into a biscornu, just leave the interfacing off.