Thursday, December 12, 2013

Down by the Bay is Done!

Woohoo! This whole down-with-the-flu business has certainly paid off, as I've actually managed to finish Down by the Bay a lot sooner than expected!


All I had left to do was to finish up the border, which is a much simpler version than the original charted version (see left sidebar for comparison). I just felt, since the watermelon was so gigantic, that the border didn't need to be too fussy. Anyway, that's just my style, I guess. We're all free to change our stitching to suit our personal tastes, right?


I thought this would take a lot longer to stitch up! I started it the last week of October, so it took about a month and a half (you can see my start here). It was stitched on 32 count Ivory Lugana using NPI silks, and it was a lot of fun! I bought another great La-D-Da design the same time I bought this one, so I'll probably start on it next.


So now that you see the whole piece, here's how the rhyme goes, for those who aren't familiar with it:

Down by the bay
Where the watermelon grows
Back to my home
I dare not go
For if I do
My mother would say
"Have you ever seen a whale hugging a snail?" (or another equally strange rhyming animal activity)
Down by the bay

I loved this rhyme when I was a kid! I'm so glad I stitched this up - it's so cute and quirky, and it's full of happy childhood memories.

Hope you all enjoyed this too!

6 comments:

Shirlee said...

Congratulations Sarah! It was fun to watch your progress on this design : ) Can't wait to see what you will start next!

retdairyqueen said...

Looks great Well done

Lulu said...

Congrats on the finish! It is truly beautiful. Hope you feel better soon!

Emma/Itzy said...

Great finish! Well done :)

Mii Stitch said...

Congrats Sarah, this is a lovely finish!!

Isabella Morais said...

I know what u mean about the border..I didn't stitch the frame around summer garden too :D
Congrats Sarah...it is amazing!
XOXO, Isa