Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Quilt Square 47

I'm still stitching on the American Flag Quilt. It's a good way to while away the hours...


So this newest block is Utah, the Beehive State. It joined the union on January 4, 1896, making it the 45th state. (Seriously, only 5 left?!)


So I thought I'd give you guys a better picture of how Ramadan has been going this year: we sleep all day long (my husband's still on leave recovering from his arm surgery, and I'm on summer vacation, so this part is easy!). By the time we wake up, we've only got a few hours to kill before sundown.

Then it's cooking time. Ramadan has a menu entirely of its own, very different from our meals the rest of the year. We break our fast with buttermilk, some dates, soup, and different kinds of samosas. At this point I'm usually full - when you haven't eaten all day, your stomach shrinks. We wait about an hour and then have a normal meal, where I'll make lasagne or a casserole or a stew, whatever. We'll eat little things off and on all night, staying up until dawn, when we have one more meal, usually a kind of breakfast food, before we have to stop. Then it's to bed to start all over again!


Wish us luck!

12 comments:

Mii Stitch said...

You are getting so close with your stitching!!! I can't believe there is only 5 left! :) It was really kind of you to explain more about Ramadan. I didn't realise you were sleeping during the day & staying awake at night. Good luck with it all x

Terri said...

I love your American flag project! Great progress!

Good luck with Ramadan!

thegreytail said...

wow, that's quite a schedule!
I'm glad you're both home, even if your husband wasn't well. working during Ramadan doesn't sounds like fun at all!

only 5 states left?? wow! go Sarah, go! ;)

cucki said...

Great project..
Hugs x

Steph said...

The stitching is looking amazing! Only 5 left!! Will you feel lost not having it to stitch?
Thank you for sharing about Ramadan. It sounds blissful!
XOX

Isabella Morais said...

Go girl, only five more and you're done!

Sleeping is a good way to forget about eating. But I like what comes after all! Oh my!

:D

XOXO, Isa.

Linda said...

Another great state. Thanks for the info. It was interesting.

Linda

Emma/Itzy said...

Hi! Just catching up with all the posts I am behind - this is looking fantastic! So close to the end now! :)

Lulu said...

Beautiful stitching! You are getting so close to finishing :).

Lija Broka said...

Your stitching is beautiful! Ramadan is very difficult, good luck (not sure if people say something like that). We used to have Great North run around this time ... but due to Muslims participating and being unable to drink water, the run has been moved to autumn instead.

Shirlee said...

Your stitching is lovely Sarah, & I really enjoy hearing about your Ramadan traditions.

Anne said...

Yay! So close to being done now! Love the beehive state. Have a good Ramadan!